Peter & Shannyn – Monday, Jan 6
Today, the first Monday of a New Year, is sometimes called “Blue Monday” - the most depressing day of the year.
Here are some things you can do to help prevent Seasonal Affective Disorder, from WebMD:
- Try to spend some time outside every day, even when it’s cloudy. The effects of daylight are still beneficial.
- Begin using a light box when fall starts, even before you feel the effects of winter SAD.
- Eat a well-balanced diet, including sufficient amounts of vitamins & minerals. This helps provide energy.
- Try exercising for 30 minutes a day, three times a week.
- Stay involved with your social circle & regular activities. Social support may be even more important during winter months.
Mrs. Beeton’s Easy Layered Apple Charlotte
- 9 slices of bread and butter
- About 6 good-sized apples
- 1 tablespoon of minced lemon-peel
- 2 tablespoonfuls of juice
- Moist sugar to taste.
- Butter a pie-dish, and place a layer of bread and butter, without the crust, at the bottom.
- Add a layer of apples, pared, cored, and cut into thin slices.
- Sprinkle over these a portion of the lemon-peel and juice, and sweeten with moist sugar.
- Place another layer of bread and butter, and then one of apples, proceeding in this manner until the dish is full.
- Cover with the peel of the apples, to preserve the top from browning or burning;
- Bake in a brisk oven (350 degrees) for rather more than 3/4 hour.
- Torn the charlotte on a dish, sprinkle sifted sugar over, and serve.
Sufficient for 5 or 6 persons.
Peter & Shannyn – Tuesday, Jan 7
Chip Brown with Zondervan joined us this morning to talk about the newly released “Ragamuffin Bible”, inspired by the works of Brennan Manning.
Peter & Shannyn – Friday, Jan 10
This morning we unveiled the 2014 Open Doors World Watch List. 100 countries that are the worst persecutors of Christians around the world. To find out more, including how to pray, click here.