Archives For family life radio
An estimated 10,000 people have died in the Philippines following last week’s typhoon, and more than 600,000 are out of their homes. The United Nations says many survivors have no food, water or medicine. Several ministries are already working to provide relief, including:
Veteran’s Day Deals
Several places are offering deals for veterans today. In most cases proof of military service is required, and some local restaurants may not be participating so check ahead of time. In many communities locally owned restaurants and other businesses will be offering special deals today for veterans and active military members. Here are some national chains we’ve found.
- Applebee’s – Free meal
- Bob Evans – Free all-you-can-eat hotcakes.
- California Pizza Kitchen – Free meal and non-alcoholic beverage
- Carraba’s- Free appetizer of your choice
- Champps Americana – Free hamburger and waffle fries
- Chili’s – Free meal
- Denny’s – All-you-can-eat pancakes from 6am-2pm
- Einstein Bros Bagels – Free Classic or Signature Bagel and topping
- Famous Dave’s- Free or discounted meals
- Friendly’s – Free breakfast and coffee during breakfast hours
- Golden Corral – Free meal
- HoneyBaked Stores – Free lunch
- Krispy Kreme – Free doughnut and small coffee
- Little Caesars® Pizza – Free Crazy Bread
- Lone Star Steakhouse – Buy one – Get one free entrée.
- LongHorn Steakhouse – Complimentary Texas Tonion and beverage.
- Max & Erma’s – Free Best Cheeseburger in America Combo
- Olive Garden – Free Entree from Special Menu
- On The Border – Free entree from the “Create Your Own Combo” menu
- Outback Steakhouse- Free Bloomin’ Onion and beverage.
- Red Lobster – Free appetizer
- Red Robin – Free Red’s Tavern Double and Bottomless Steak Fries
- Shoney’s – Free All-American Burger
- Starbucks – Free tall brewed coffee
- Subway – Free 6 inch sub
- Texas Roadhouse – Free Lunch and Drink
- TGI Fridays – Free lunch from 11am – 2pm
- Tim Hortons – Free doughnut
Josh Calhoun of the band Citizen Way dropped by this morning to talk about the band’s latest single.
10 Reasons NOT To Marry
This morning Peter & Shannyn discussed Seth Smith’s blog post that’s gone viral – “Marriage Isn’t For You”
Dr. Randy Carlson recently shared 10 reasons you should NOT get married.
- You are unwilling to put the needs of another person above your own.
- You are easily offended, carry grudges and are unwilling to forgive.
- You are an abusive person (Mentally, emotionally and physically).
- You are unwilling to commit.
- You have an unresolved addiction problem.
- Your career is the most important thing in your life.
- You do not share the same beliefs, values, life priorities or vision.
- You are unwilling to be an active partner sexually with your spouse.
- You are unwilling to agree on an approach for handling finances, children and life decisions.
- You expect your spouse to change after you get married.
This morning we shared a recipe from a listener for pumpkin seeds. If you make some, we’ll gladly take them off your hands!
2 cups pumpkin seeds
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Thoroughly rinse seeds and pick out stray bits of pumpkin.
- Pour seeds on a cookie sheet, preferably one with sides.
- Combine Worcestershire sauce and melted butter.
- Pour Worcestershire sauce/butter combination over seeds and stir to distribute evenly.
- Evenly sprinkle salt over seeds.
- Bake for two hours, stirring every half hour.
- Let cool and enjoy!
- Store in airtight container.
Pastors David Platt and Francis Chan are offering a free web event on Friday, November 8 about how discipling new believers looks in today’s society. All you need to know is at MultiplyMovement.com/Gatherings.
Gospel of John, Photographed
Author/Photographer David Weaver joined us this morning to discuss his book, The Gospel of John, Photographed.
20 Things 20-Somethings Should Know
This morning we talked about the 20 Things everyone should know how to do by the time they turn 20. Here’s the list according to Relevant Magazine.
- Make a Great Breakfast
- Argue Kindly
- Hold a Conversation With Someone of Any Age
- Parallel Park
- Defend Your Media Choices
- Limit Your Online Life
- Approach a Stranger
- Stand Up for Yourself
- Say “I Was Wrong”
- Brew a Great Cup of Coffee or Tea
- Tip Generously
- Maintain a Mentor
- Bite Your Tongue
- Stay Well Rested
- Respond to Criticism
- Write a Cover Letter
- Be Alone
- Recommend a Book, Movie or Album
- Prioritize the Important Over the Urgent
- Hold on to a Good Friend