This morning we talked about the role faith plays in where you shop. CNN’s Religion Blog lists 10 companies that have a Christian heritage.
1. Chick-Fil-A: Truett Cathy’s work ethic was forged during the Depression. He took a tiny Atlanta diner and turned into Chick-fil-A, and then turned his attention into developing young people.
2. Forever 21: Young women’s clothing company which prints John 3:16 on the bottom of its shopping bags.
3. Tom’s of Maine: A natural home products company started by Tom Chappell and his wife Kate. He almost quit to pursue full-time Christian ministry, but a professor at Harvard Divinity School advised him to make his business a ministry.
4. Tyson’s Foods, Inc.: The world’s largest chicken company employs a team of chaplains who minister to employees.
5. Hobby Lobby: The chain of more than 450 arts and crafts stores says in their mission statement – “Honoring the Lord in all we do by operating the company in a manner consistent with Biblical principles”.
6. ServiceMaster: Founded in 1929 by Marion Wade, who was said to view each employee and customer as someone made in the image of God. They own Terminix and American Home Shield.
7. Herman Miller: Michigan-based furniture maker prides itself on environmental philanthropy and is often on Fortune’s annual list of Best Companies To Work For.
8. Interstate Batteries: The car battery giant is very open about their faith in their training and intra-company communication. Former president Norm Miller moved to the role of chairman to allow more time to address Christian audiences.
9. In-N-Out-Burger: In-N-Out has printed citations of Bible passages on cups, wrappers and other packaging.
10. Walmart: Sam Walton, the founder of Walmart, used Christian servant leadership models to build the company.
TODAY’S RESPECT DARE: Proverbs 15:1 says “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” So today’s dare is to choose from this day forward to speak fewer words .. and to make those words count. That way others will know that when you speak, it matters. If you feel you need to vent, do that to your Heavenly Father or with a trusted friend.
TODAY’S LOVE DARE: Begin building emotional intimacy with your mate. Determine today to guard their secrets and to pray for them. Listen with acceptance, and make them feel safe!
Remember to tell us you’re taking the LOVE/RESPECT DARE by signing up for the 30 day challenge on our home page.