A mom overseas says two words kept her kids safe from a potential abduction, but those words were not “Stranger Danger.” Instead she teaches them to beware of “Tricky People.” It’s all spelled out on the blog Safely Ever After.
Knowledge Is Power
- Remind your children safe grownups don’t ask kids for help.
- Never leave young children unsupervised .. Not even for a minute.
- Replace the word stranger with tricky person. It’s not what someone looks like, it’s what they say or want to do with a child that makes them unsafe or tricky.
- A tricky person can be someone you know well .. or not at all.
- Listen to your child. If they don’t want to be around a particular person, they may be getting a red flag signal from them.
- Be mindful of settings where older children have a lot of privacy with younger children.
- Practice personal safety strategies with your kids, like what to do if they get lost in a store.
- Do NOT write your child’s name on the outside of any personal belongings.
- Older children should always use the buddy system.
- The uh-oh feeling – Trust your instincts & let your child know it’s okay to trust theirs.
- Establish a family rule: No Secrets Allowed.
- Let children decide for themselves how they want to express affection.
- Spend time with your kids. Children starved for affection can be especially vulnerable to a predator’s tricks.
- Volunteer at your child’s school so they’ll feel safe coming to you.
- Develop strong communication skills.
- Teach safety concepts in a loving, easy-going manner. Scare tactics can be counter-productive.
Family Life Radio Member Doreen says God is using Ryan Stevenson’s song Eye of the Storm to speak to her.
Family Life Radio Member Linda shares why Casting Crowns‘ song Broken Together speaks to her heart.
A living legend, Bill Gaither, joins P&S this morning to talk about his career, salvation, & the latest tour. The Gaither Vocal Band is making stops all over Family Life Nation. Click here for more.
Duncan Phillips (2nd from left) of the Newsboys talks personal worship & raising kids when you’re on the road.The band’s Love Riot tour is coming to Family Life Nation! Click here for more.
Now playing on Family Life Radio… Hillsong Worship‘s song What a Beautiful Name. Brooke Ligertwood shares how the song was realized.
Winning `o the Green
Here’s a look at the green bling we gave away this morning! Congrats to JoAnn Fields of Midland, Texas! Thanks again to our friends at Medawar Jewelers for their support.
Celebrate Your Marriage
A marriage conference .. that’s fun? You betcha! Celebrate Your Marriage is coming back to Grand Hotel on Michigan’s Mackinac Island this Spring. Jay & Laura Laffoon are your hosts, & you & your spouse will not only learn how to celebrate every day, but reconnect in a place that’s designed to remove the distractions. Plus .. the FOOD! More on the event & registration information here.
God is using TobyMac‘s song Move to speak to Nina.
“…and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 2 Corinthians 10:5