10 ONE THINGS to Make Yourself an Indispensable Employee
Do your work willingly, as though you were serving the Lord himself, and not just your earthly master.
─ Colossians 3:23 CEV
As a Christ-follower, we should be the most productive, cooperative, honest and hardworking person in our business. The Christian, as an employee, should be the most desirable and productive employee around.
Here’s our list of ONE THINGS for hanging on to a good job – and making yourself indispensable:
- Go the extra mile every day! Do more than you’re asked and with excellence – ahead of time. That includes coming in a little earlier and staying a little later than other people – not to impress, but to get more done.
- Look for One Thing that would make your business more successful and profitable and then act! Because you’re close to the daily action of the business, you probably see areas of waste and inefficiency, that if addressed, would result in making the business work better.
- Have a great attitude! When it’s time to make cuts, the boss will make lay-off decisions based on several factors, but keep in mind, one of the most important factors can be attitude. Great attitudes rise to the surface.
- Sharpen your skills! Keep up with technological advances and keep your work skills up to date.
- Share the toys! Team players are important to a successful business. If you’re on a team, become indispensable. Usually 80% of the work is being done by 20% of the people – be in the 20%!
- Become a solution-focused employee! Anyone can find problems in the workplace, but the indispensable employee is the one that finds and acts upon solutions. Solution-focused employees get noticed.
- Learn to get along with other people. If you’re not a “people person,” learn to become one fast! People who can’t get along with other people often end-up on the “cut list.”
- Start building toward a time in the future when you’ll be able to do what you really feel called to do and would love to do with your life.
- Refuse discouragement.
- Remember Whom you are really working for.
Today’s One Thing
Pray and ask the Lord which of these ONE THINGS you should focus on for the next 30 days. Once you have an answer (in the next day or two) focus your attention on it, and intentionally make improvements one day at a time. Ask someone to be your accountability partner and discuss your progress every 3-4 days.