5 Critical Steps in the Process of an Empty Nest
To everything there is a season, and a time for every matter or purpose under heaven:
─ Ecclesiastes 3:1 AMPC
When the Bible says there is a time and a season for everything under the sun, we just have to accept the fact we’ve got to prepare for each season. Perhaps you’ve already been through empty nest and you can share this with others. But also recognize that there is a next stage coming – another transition.
Here are five critical steps in the process of an empty nest:
- Strengthen your marriage. Often an unhealthy, symbiotic relationship between a parent and a child develops that excludes the marriage partner. Once the nest empties, the marriage is strained.
- Pursue new interests. It’s time to do those things you put on hold.
- Give your children space to mature. Genesis 2:24 says, “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife and the two will become one flesh.” Be available to help, but only if they ask for it.
- Plan for your future. What do you want to do? What about your finances? What are going to be your priorities?
- Find ways to serve others. Look to meet the needs within church and community.
Empty nest is a natural transition, a season to embrace and cherish. You want to look back someday and thank God for the ability to raise children and continue to be a part of their lives, even as the relationships change.
Today’s One Thing
Review the five critical steps in the process of an empty nest. Identify where you are in the process and choose one of the steps above to pursue, as you prepare for the next season God has for you.