He’s Given His Light
The title of our devotional today speaks of Christ; but not of His birth, rather it speaks of His life and ministry. When Christ came, He was the light that came into a land of deep darkness. And you know what? He continues to shine on those of us who live in a land of deep darkness.
The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light. They lived in a land of shadows, but now light is shining on them.
─ Isaiah 9:2 GNT
Israel’s complete unawareness when it comes to the light of Christ can seem surprising to us, but it may also explain how deep the darkness really is.
- There was a star in the sky for who knows how long, and no one from Israel saw it. Only the Magi from a distant land.
- The star settled above Bethlehem the night Jesus was born.
- Legions of angels filled the sky with their presence and praise.
- And only the lowly shepherds noticed what happened—again—in the Bethlehem night sky.
Christ has given us His light!
How deep is the darkness in our culture? In our world? Because if the Jews, who were there for the birth of Christ, missed the light, you might wonder what chance there is for us?
The good news is Christ has given us His light! “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life” (John 8:12 ESV).
You have the Light of life. What are you going to do with it? Here are a few scriptures to help remind you of the light you have in through Christ Jesus:
- “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven” (Matthew 5:16 AMP).
- “For once you were full of darkness, but now you have light from the Lord. So live as people of light!” (Ephesians 5:8 NLT).
- “You are the light of the world. Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:14,16 ESV).
Today’s One Thing
Think about the light and life of Jesus. As your Savior, He came to rule and reign in your heart. In what areas of your life do you need to surrender more fully to Him so that His light shines from your heart to those around you? Choose to shine brightly for Him today.