Revisit God’s Goodness
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle.
─ Psalm 103:1-5 ESV
Who is God to you? How well do you know Him? It’s easy to see God’s goodness and remember His great love for you when life is flowing smoothly. It’s when the circumstances of this life become hard, and your emotions are frayed that you can forget God, or feel like He’s forgotten you.
David, the psalmist, learned what God does for you, paints a picture of what He is really like. As you review how He’s shown up in past difficulties and rescued and redeemed you, you see His true character and nature. God is good, and He wants to do good in your life.
Through the words in Psalm 103 David’s praise is focused on the good things God was doing for him. Let’s look at our verse today in The Passion Translation.
- “With my whole heart, with my whole life, and with my innermost being, I bow in wonder and love before you, the holy God!
- Yahweh, you are my soul’s celebration. How could I ever forget the miracles of kindness you’ve done for me?
- You kissed my heart with forgiveness, in spite of all I’ve done. You’ve healed me inside and out from every disease.
- You’ve rescued me from hell and saved my life. You’ve crowned me with love and mercy.
- You satisfy my every desire with good things. You’ve supercharged my life so that I soar again like a flying eagle in the sky!
David’s list is filled with things you can count as your own blessings. David’s honest and raw communication with God encourages us to always be real with God. It’s especially important, when it feels like life has kicked you in the gut and hope is fleeting, to remember God’s goodness.
Today’s One Thing
Write your own psalm today. It’s a simple exercise for your eyes only. List the things God has done for you. Take your words before God in prayer. Believe He will demonstrate His goodness to you again.