Give Only Good
“Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”
─ Luke 6:38 ESV
Give Only Good
“Every morning in West Tennessee, some down-on-his-luck person finds a freshly baked pound cake on his stoop. Attached, a simple note: ‘Somebody loves you.’ This bit of decency comes courtesy of the Nine Nanas, long-anonymous women devoted to helping the less fortunate.”1
Hopefully, you are giving good things to others. Today’s verse invites us to give generously, because in whatever measure you give your gift, it will be portioned back to you in the same amount you gave it. A lot of times this verse is shared when talking about money, but Jesus wasn’t talking specifically about money.
- If you spread joy, you can expect joy.
- If you share peace, then you will receive peace.
- When you give others grace, mercy or forgiveness, then you can believe you’ll also receive those in kind.
- If you’re compassionate, gentle and gracious, you can expect to receive compassion, gentleness and grace given back to you.
- On the opposite end, should you choose to gossip about others, judge or criticize them, then you should not be surprised when others do the same to you.
Today’s One Thing
Consider the gifts you give and the measure with which you distribute them. What would you like to give more of? What would you like to give less of? Ask God to help you. He promised to give you the desire of your heart as it lines up with his word.